The Chair and Vice Chair of the DeKalb County Board of Education shall be elected during its first meeting each January. The Chair and the Vice Chair shall be elected by a majority of the members of the Board and shall serve for a term of one year. In the event that a Chair and Vice Chair are not elected in January, the existing Chair and Vice Chair shall continue to serve until a successor is elected. A vacancy created by death, resignation, or other cause shall be filled by an election for the remainder of the one-year term.
The Chair shall preside at Board meetings and shall perform all duties as may be prescribed by law or by action of the Board, including but not limited to the following:
1. Serve as the initial spokesman and first in line of authority in all board actions;
2. Consult with and advise the Superintendent in all matters of policy from the Board;
3. Ensure that all members of the Board are equally informed regarding the pertinent issues of the District;
4. Preside at all meetings;
5. Expedite the action on agenda at all meetings of the Board;
6. Serve as the official representative of the Board unless another member is designated by the Board to do so;
7. Decide questions of order in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised;
8. Appoint all committees unless otherwise directed by the Board;
9. Sign the minutes and other official documents that require the signature of the Chair;
10. Call special meetings of the Board whenever conditions set out for special meetings have been met; and
11. Have the right, as other members of the Board have, to make motion, vote, second motion, and fully participate in discussion.
The Vice Chair shall assist the Chair and shall perform the duties and obligations of the Chair when the Chair is absent or incapacitated. The Vice Chair shall have such other powers and duties as the Board may from time to time determine.
In the absence of both the Chair and the Vice Chair at a meeting, the attending members shall elect one of their members to preside.
The Superintendent shall be the Secretary of the Board and perform all duties established by Georgia law or delegated by the Board.