BOARD POLICY LEBA
Parental Involvement in Education
The Fayette County School System affirms and assures the right of parents and legal guardians of children being served in activities funded by Title I the opportunities to participate in the planning, design and implementation of the Title I program and its activities.
A. The Fayette County School System shall involve parents in the joint development of a written parent involvement policy that shall be incorporated into the school system’s plan under section 6312 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). The school system shall involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under Section 6316 through input received from the county level stakeholders committee, school level improvement committees, school council meetings with parent membership and through input received from other parent meetings or written surveys. The school system shall also establish expectations for parent involvement through written information distributed to parents through system, school, and classroom newsletters, parent contracts, the local media, as well as through school or system web sites. The parent involvement policy will be distributed annually through the Title I Schools and posted on the web site.
B. The Fayette County School System shall provide coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist participating schools in planning and implementing effective parent involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance through the distribution of written information and resources and through meetings in or out of the school involving appropriate personnel.
C. The Fayette County School System shall build the schools’ and parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement through a variety of activities to include but not limited to:
• Providing information to parents in written form or through meetings on topics such as the State’s academic content standards, State and local student academic achievement standards/assessments, and the requirements of parent involvement under the law;
• Providing materials and training to help parents work with their children and monitor their progress to improve their children’s achievement;
• Educating parents on ways for them to participate in decisions relating to the education of their children;
• Training educational staff on how to build ties between parents and the school;
• Coordinating and integrating parent involvement strategies with Head Start, Pre-K programs and other programs, to the extent feasible and appropriate by communicating directly and indirectly with these agencies through verbal or written information when needed;
• Sending information to parents in a format and, to the extent feasible, in a language that parents can understand; and
• Providing information to parents on National Education Goals and the requirements of Title I, Part A. This information will include the components of a Targeted Assistance Program.
• Conducting activities that enable parents to learn about child development and child rearing issues that are designed to help parents become full partners in the education of their children.
• Providing reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request or as the school or system deems appropriate or necessary.
D. The Fayette County School System shall conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of the parent involvement policy to determine whether there has been increased participation and whether there are barriers to greater participation, particularly by parents who are economically disadvantaged, disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background. This data will be obtained from parent, committee or school council meetings or through parent surveys. All unsatisfactory parent comments regarding the LEA Plan under section 1112 will be collected and submitted with the LEA Plan when submitted to the SEA. The findings of the evaluations will be utilized in school improvement and revising both the LEA Parental Involvement Policy and the School/Parental Involvement Policy.
E. Fayette County School System shall develop appropriate roles for community based organizations and businesses in parent involvement activities, including providing information about opportunities for organizations and businesses to work with parents and schools. The formation of partnerships between parents, elementary, middle, and secondary schools, and local businesses will be encouraged.
F. Fayette County Schools shall reserve one percent of LEA allocation for parent involvement and distribute ninety-five percent of this reserve fund to serve schools. Parents will be involved in the decisions regarding how funds are allotted for parental involvement activities.
G. The Fayette County School System, in conjunction with individual school activities, shall, to the extent possible, implement the activities to meet the federal requirements under Title I, Part A, Section 6318. It shall encourage and support activities that allow the schools to effectively involve parents, which places a positive impact on student success.
ADOPTED: July 28, 2008
Board of Education of Fayette County