The Clayton County Board of Education believes that all students have the right to a safe and healthy school environment. All schools within the District have an obligation to promote mutual respect, tolerance, and acceptance among students, staff, volunteers, and visitors. Behavior that infringes on or negatively impacts the safety of students will not be tolerated. No student shall be bullied, harassed, or intimidated by another student through words or actions.
Bullying, as the term is defined in Georgia law, of a student by another student is strictly prohibited. Such prohibition shall be included in the Student Code of Conduct for all schools within the school system.
Bullying is defined as follows: An act which occurs on school property, on school vehicles, at school bus stops, or at school related functions or activities, or by use of data or software that is accessed through a computer, computer system, computer network, or other electronic technology of a local school system. Such behavior, includes but is not limited to, direct physical contact such as hitting or shoving; verbal assaults such as teasing or name-calling; the use of electronic methods to harass, threaten or humiliate, and social isolation and/or manipulation. It is:
- Any willful attempt or threat to inflict injury on another person, when accompanied by an apparent present ability to do so;
- Any intentional display of force such as would give the victim reason to fear or expect immediate bodily harm; or
- Any intentional written, verbal, or physical act, which a reasonable person would perceive as being intended to threaten, harass, or intimidate, that:
- Causes another person substantial physical harm within the meaning of Code Section 16-5-23.1 or visible bodily harm as such term is defined in Code Section 16-5-23.1;
- Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student's education;
- Is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates an intimidating or threatening educational environment; or
- Has the effect of substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
This policy prohibiting bullying shall be included in the Clayton County Public Schools Student Code of Conduct. The Superintendent is authorized to develop procedures consistent with the spirit of this policy.