Bookmark and Share

Descriptor Code: JBC
School Admissions  
Print Policy
  1. Attend – A student’s physical presence in the educational programs for which he or she is enrolled.


  2. Case Management Consultation (CMC) – A consultation by a school social worker or case manager in which a process is used to discover whether any transition problems exist and whether any services are necessary for a child placed by the Department of Human Resources (DHR) or Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ). This process, as defined in State Board Rule 160-4-8-.17 (JGEB), will be utilized each time a DHR- or DJJ- placed child enrolls in a new school.


  3. Education For Homeless Children and Youths – See Griffin-Spalding County Policy JBCA.


  4. Enroll – The registration of a student by a parent, guardian, or other person having control or charge of a child, or the student (in the case of an emancipated minor) providing the school system with the appropriate documentation. Once enrolled, the child shall be eligible to attend the assigned school.


  5. Other Person – An adult at least 18 years of age or an emancipated minor at least sixteen years of age residing within the school system who is not the parent or guardian of a child but stands in loco parentis (i.e., to assume the duties and responsibilities of a parent such as providing food, shelter, clothing or medical care.)


  6. Withdraw – The removal of a student from the official roll of a school.


    Students must be domiciled in Spalding County in order to attend Spalding County Schools. For unemancipated minors, the domicile of the student shall be considered to be the domicile of the student’s legal custodian, subject to the provisions of this policy. For emancipated minors, the domicile of the student shall be that place where the student resides and intends to remain. For unemancipated minors, the domicile of the minor shall be considered to be the domicile of the student’s legal custodian, or, in the case of divorced or separated parents with joint legal custody, the domicile of the person with primary physical custody of the student, or the person designated by court decree as the custodian of the student for educational purposes.

    For the purposes of this policy, a minor (a student under the age of 18) shall be considered emancipated if he/she is lawfully married, or if he/she has been adjudicated emancipated by a court of proper jurisdiction.

    All students must attend the school, which serves their particular residential area. The school system reserves the right to make exceptions to this policy based upon (1) the special education needs of individual students (2) the availability of classroom space in a given school (3) the allocation of instruction programs by the school system, or (4) recommendations by the Transfer Request Committee.

    For the purpose of this policy a bona fide move occurs when the student moved simultaneously with the entire parental unit or persons he/she resided with at the former school, and the student and parent(s) or persons residing with the student live in the service area of the new school. The school district employees reserve the right to verify that the parent(s) or the persons residing with the student and the student have relinquished the residence in the former service area and have occupied a residence in the new service area. Relinquishment of the former residence may be met by one of the following procedures: selling the residence; having the residence listed with a Real Estate Agent for sale at a fair market value; having a contract with a buyer; having a lease agreement at a fair market value; or abandoning the house and shutting off unnecessary utilities. When a family claims multiple residences, the residence for which they apply for a homestead exemption will be declared the primary residence.

    Any student who makes a bona fide move from one attendance zone into another attendance zone during the school year will be allowed to complete the current semester in the school in the attendance zone from which the student has moved provided that the student furnishes his or her own transportation. At the end of that semester, the student will transfer to the school in the attendance zone of his or her residence.

    Any student who makes a bona fide move out of the county during the school year will be allowed to continue to attend the school in which the student is enrolled until the end of the current semester’s grading period provided that the student furnishes his or her own transportation.
  1. Authority to Enroll

    Under the provisions stated in O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.1, a parent, guardian, or other person has the authority to enroll a student in a publicly funded Georgia school.

  1. A student who meets the age eligibility requirements is eligible to enroll in the school system if the student’s parent or legal guardian (or the student in the case of an emancipated minor) is a resident of the school district. Proof of residence is required in accordance with regulations developed by the superintendent.

  2. If the person enrolling a student is not the parent and does not hold legal guardianship, the person enrolling the student must complete a Non-Parental Affidavit specifying the reasons why the student is living with the “other person”.

  3. If the person enrolling the student is acting under the authority of a power of attorney executed by a parent or guardian serving in the military, the school shall allow the student to enroll. The school system may require proof of a duly executed power of attorney and/or certificate of acceptance as guardian, escort, or attorney. The school system shall not require such verification as cited above or in a court order changing the student’s name.

  4. State Law (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-293) provides that a student shall be allowed to attend and be enrolled in the school in which a parent or guardian of such student is a full-time employee, notwithstanding the fact that the student and his or her parent or guardian may reside in another county or attendance zone. Additionally, consideration may be given to attendance and enrollment in a school on an adjoining campus to the parent or guardian’s work location.

    If a parent or guardian retires from full-time employment while the child is actively enrolled in Griffin-Spalding County School, the child may continue enrollment in the school system. The child would be allowed to continue enrollment until graduation provided the parent or guardian provides transportation. If the retired employee withdraws the child from the school system at any time before graduation, the child would not be allowed to reenter the Griffin-Spalding School System under this policy.

    Further, as an accommodation to full-time employees of this school system, a student may be allowed to attend an elementary school or middle school if that parent or guardian of that student is a full-time teacher, paraprofessional or other employee, regardless of whether that student’s parent or guardian resides in another county or attendance zone, if there is a regular school system bus which transports children from the elementary and middle schools in question and the employee would be aided by having the student ride the bus from the student’s school to the facility where the employee works. It is the intent of this policy to aid full-time employees with transportation and shall not be construed as creating a requirement that the school system schedule special transportation or bus routes in order accommodate students who are the wards of full-time school system employees.

    The Board of Education reserves the right to refuse to grant this accommodation if the granting of the employee’s request to have the student attend a school out of his/her residential area would result in, or contribute, to an overcrowding of a classroom at that school.


  5. Separated or Divorced Parents: If a student’s parents are divorced or separated, only the legal custodian, or in the case of divorced or separated parents with joint legal custody, the person with primary physical custody or the person designated by the court as having the exclusive right to make decisions regarding the child’s education, may enroll the student in school, receive all information (except that permitted the non-custodial parent by law) concerning the student from the school, authorize necessary activities of the student, and remove the student from school prior to the end of the school day or from an approved activity prior to the end of the school day. In the event of the separation of a student’s parents without court-ordered custody of the student, either parent shall be recognized as the custodial parent for the purpose set out above.

    It is the policy of the Griffin-Spalding County Board of Education that it shall not be the arbiter of custody issues which are pending in a court. Upon enrollment of a student, the parent will be asked whether he or she is the parent of the student involved, whether he or she is separated or divorced and, if so, has there been a legal determination of custody. If the parent indicates that he or she is separated or divorced and that there has been legal determination of custody, then the school will require proof that the parent does have legal custody of the student.


  6. The Griffin-Spalding County Board of Education recognizes that foster children residing within the geographic limits of Spalding County present a unique situation with regard to their resident status. Many times foster children are moved from home to home during a school year and over a relatively short period of time with the only stability in their young lives being that of their classroom and teacher.

    Because of this, the Griffin-Spalding County School system desires to cooperate with the Department of Family and Children Services (DFACS) in working toward the best interest of the foster children in the local public school system. On an individual case basis, after a discussion with the Department of Family and Children Services as to the facts concerning a particular foster child who is enrolled in the local public system, the school system may make exceptions to the residency policy for that particular student if the Department of Family and Children Services and school system representatives find it to be in the best interest of that student to be allowed to remain in a particular school even though the student’s new foster home placement is outside the residential area for that student’s school. One factor to be weighed heavily in the determination of whether an exception will be made for a particular student who is living in a foster home is whether or not the new foster home is likely to be a short term placement. The decision to allow an exception for a child in a particular situation is understood to be a temporary exception and shall be subject to change if that particular student’s situation should change or it becomes apparent that the student’s new foster placement, or any subsequent foster placement that is outside the residential district of the student’s district or the student's school, is a long term placement.

    If it is determined that it is in the student’s best interest that he or she be allowed to remain in a school even though the student’s new foster home is outside that school’s residential area, the student’s foster family will remain solely responsible for student's transportation to and from school.

  7. Students Placed by DHR or DJJ:

  • When a student is being placed by DHR into a new home of facility that would require a change in school or school system, the school system in which that student is attending shall consult with the student’s custodian to ascertain whether the student should be maintained in the school of origin or assigned to appropriate school in the new school system in accordance with the McKinney-Vento Act. Foster children awaiting permanent placement qualify as homeless under the McKinney-Vento Act.


  • Upon notification DJJ that a student will be enrolling in the school system, the school system shall enroll the student in his or her home school, as opposed to an alternative educational setting, unless the Case Management Consultation team concludes that the best placement for the child would be the alternative setting. Any placement made pursuant to an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team shall take precedence.

  • Upon notification by DHR or DJJ, the school system shall immediately enroll a student in the physical or legal custody of DHR or DJJ or a student placed by DHR or DJJ in a residential facility located within the school system’s jurisdiction, pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 20-2-133. The school system will follow guidelines developed by the State Department of Education governing the provision of education services provided by local school systems to student being served in therapeutic facilities.


  1. Enrollment of Out-of-County Special Education Students: shall only occur by recommendation of the Director of Special Education and will be counted for attendance purposes in Griffin-Spalding County School System.

  2. Age Eligibility: see Griffin-Spalding Policy JBB.

  1. Evidence of Date of Birth

  1. Other than students specifically exempted by State Board rule or by Georgia law, before admitting any student to a school in the school system, the superintendent or designee shall accept evidence in the order set forth below that shows the individual’s date of birth.

  1. A certified copy of a birth certificate, certified hospital issued birth record or birth certificate;

  2. A military ID;

  3. A valid driver’s license;

  4. A passport;

  5. An adoption record;

  6. A religious record signed by an authorized religious official;

  7. An office school transcript; or

  8. If none of these evidences can be produced, an affidavit of age sworn to by the parent, guardian or other person accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a licensed practicing physician, which certificate states that the physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is substantially correct.

  1. Upon presentation of one of these evidences above, a photocopy of the document shall be placed in the student’s record and the document that is presented shall be returned to the parent, guardian, or other person.

  2. A student will be identified in the local Student Information System (SIS) and in the Georgia Statewide Student Information System (GSSIS) by the student’s legal name as it appears on the documentation submitted for age verification as cited above or in a court order changing the student's name.

  3. Once a student has successfully enrolled in any publicly-funded Georgia school by providing one of the evidences cited above and is recorded in the Georgia Testing Identifier application (SBOE Rule 160-5-1-.07), further proof of age is deemed unnecessary.

  1. Other Documents Required During the Enrollment Process

    The parent or guardian, or other person must provide:

  1. A copy of the enrolling student’s social security number or sign a form stating the individual does not wish to provide the social security number, pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 20-2-150. Griffin-Spalding JBC (3) School Admissions – Social Security Numbers.

  2. A certificate in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. § 20-2-771, concerning the immunization of students, which includes an exception for religious grounds (Griffin-Spalding County Policy JGCB).

  3. A certificate in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. § 20-2-770, concerning nutritional screening and eye, ear, and dental examinations of students

  4. Proof of residence shall be required, unless the student is homeless and the McKinney-Vento Act applies. A homeless child shall be enrolled immediately even in the absence of any appropriate documentation. Upon determining that a student is homeless, the child must be allowed to either remain in the district in which he or she was enrolled prior to becoming homeless or enroll in the district where he or she is now located. Proof of residence is not required. The employee or other designated individual responsible for care of homeless student shall assist the homeless student in acquiring the necessary records for enrollment (Griffin-Spalding County Policy JBCA).

  1. Provisional Enrollment

  1. A student shall be enrolled on a provisional basis and allowed to attend a school for 30 calendar days while awaiting evidence of age, residence, or other local requirements. The provisional enrollment period may be extended for extenuating circumstances in the discretion of the superintendent or designee.

  1. The superintendent or designee shall notify the registering parent, guardian, or other person at least 10 calendar days prior to the withdrawal of the provisionally enrolled student.

  2. If evidence is not provided within this period, the superintendent or designee shall mark the student withdrawn at the end of the thirtieth day.

  1. The registering parent, guardian, or other person will be considered noncompliant and subject to all penalties as prescribed in O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.1.

  2. The superintendent or designee shall report violations to the appropriate authorities of adjudication.

  1. O.C.G.A. § 20-2-150(7) concerning compulsory attendance of students prior to their seventh birthday does not apply to provisional enrollment.

  2. Students pre-registering for school are not eligible for provisional enrollment until the beginning of the attendance period of the school term for which the student is enrolling.

  3. The provisions of O.C.G.A. § 20-2-670 regarding transferal of discipline actions or felony convictions for students in grade 7 and above take precedence over any provisional enrollment.

  1. Other Requirement for Enrollment

    A student shall be allowed to enroll in the school system if the student meets residency and other specified qualifications and otherwise would not be denied enrollment under O.C.G.A. § 20-2-751.1 and O.C.G.A. § 20-2-751.2 concerning student expulsion.

  2. Immigrant Enrollment

    The school system is not responsible for making determinations regarding immigration and visa status. The school system will accept non-immigrant, foreign students on visas and immigrants/non-visa-holders who meet age and residency requirements without inquiring about their legal status, in accordance with federal or state law and SBOE rule.


    Only in the first year following the approval of a rezoning plan where attendance zone lines are changed, any eligible students in current fourth grade (rising fifth grader) and/or seventh grade (rising eighth grader) will have the option of either continuing in the present school with parents providing transportation or going to the school in the new attendance area with transportation provided under the policy governing transportation. A student is considered to be an eligible student if the student is enrolled in one of the schools affected by the rezoning during the year prior to the rezoning implementation.

    A request for out-of-zone attendance transfer must be completed for all students desiring to attend school out of their attendance zone pursuant to this sub-section. Requests will be dated as received for those students who meet the requirement and will be considered in the order received [See exhibit JBC-E (1)]. The request must be received by the school district on or before April 1st or the request will be denied. The Board may revoke this request if the student does not stay in good standing (with regard to school attendance, tardiness, early dismissals, and unexcused absences). The Board of Education and school district employees reserve the right to verify all information on the transfer application. If any false information is given, the transfer will not be approved. A student who uses the option of remaining in the present school may later transfer to the recently assigned school. Once that option is used, the student cannot transfer back to the previous school.

    The Board of Education reserves the right to annually review factors considered in the approval of out-of-zone attendance request. The school system will determine each school’s capacity for acceptance of out-of-zone students, for both grade level and special programs, based on projected enrollment and available instructional space. If sufficient space is not available, the student will not be allowed to transfer to the out-of-zone school.
  1. In accordance with the provisions of the Reauthorized Elementary and Secondary Education Act 2001, state, and local policy and procedures, Griffin-Spalding County Schools will develop and maintain a public school choice plan designed for those Title I schools that have had two or more years in “needs improvement” and fail to make yearly progress is provided for in this policy in accordance with the federal law and state regulations:

  1. An explanation of what the designation “needs improvement” means and how a “needs improvement school” compares in terms of achievement to other elementary or secondary schools served by the system is given to each parent of students enrolled in the school and to the public. In addition, the explanation must give a reason for the identification and an explanation of what the school is doing to address the problem of low achievement.

  2. All students in a school classified as “Needs Improvement” must be provided with the option to transfer to another public school within the system with transportation provided by the system. The superintendent will determine to which school(s) a student may transfer based on transportation patterns and space available. Students would be allowed to continue to attend the school to which they transferred until they have completed the highest grade in that school. Transportation would be provided at system expense for as long as the sending school is in needs improvement status; however, once a school is removed from the list of “needs improvement” schools, the parent(s) will be required to provide transportation or the student can transfer back to his/her zoned school. If the number of students who can transfer is limited, the students with poverty and the lowest standardized achievement scores (those not meeting expectations on the appropriate grade level Criterion Referenced Competency Test (CRCT)) will be allowed to transfer first.

  1. In accordance with the provisions of NCLB Act of 2002, State Board Rule 160-4-8-.16 UNSAFE SCHOOL CHOICE OPTION and local policies and procedures, Griffin-Spalding County Schools provide for school choice under the Unsafe Schools section of NCLB. In order to comply, the following shall apply:

  1. The Griffin-Spalding County Schools will notify parents of students enrolled in a school that has been classified as a persistently dangerous school within ten days of being notified by the Georgia Department of Education of such classification.

  2. The Griffin-Spalding County Schools will facilitate the transfer of students who are the victims of school related violent criminal offenses within ten days of the commission of the violent criminal offense. If possible, victims will be allowed to transfer to a school that is making adequate yearly progress and has not been identified as being on school improvement, corrective action, or restructuring.

  3. The development and submission to the GDOE of a corrective action plan for each school identified by the GDOE as a persistently dangerous school within 20 days after notification to the local school system.


Griffin-Spalding County School System
Original Adopted Date:  1/1/1900
Last Revised:  11/3/2015

Policy Reference Disclaimer: These references are not intended to be part of the policy itself, nor do they indicate the basis or authority for the board to enact this policy. Instead, they are provided as additional resources for those interested in the subject matter of the policy.

Note: The State of Georgia has moved the Georgia Code. This new environment no longer allows us to link directly to the Georgia Code. For example enter 20-02-0211 in the search window and the Georgia Code will appear.
State Reference Description
O.C.G.A 15-11-0002 Definitions-juvenile code
O.C.G.A 15-11-0602 Disposition of class A or class B designated felony act
O.C.G.A 15-11-0707 Notice to school superintendent of student adjudication of delinquent or felony act
O.C.G.A 15-11-0720 Conditions under which emancipation may occur
O.C.G.A 15-11-0721 Emancipation petition requirements
O.C.G.A 15-11-0727 Rights of emancipated minors
O.C.G.A 19-09-0121 Power of Attorney; Definitions
O.C.G.A 19-09-0122 Delegation of authority; hardship
O.C.G.A 19-09-0123 Powers granted by power of attorney
O.C.G.A 19-09-0124 Liability
O.C.G.A 19-09-0125 Protection from criminal or civil liability
O.C.G.A 19-09-0126 Grant of temporary written permission for emergency services
O.C.G.A 19-09-0127 Violations
O.C.G.A 19-09-0128 Revocation of grandparent power of attorney
O.C.G.A 19-09-0129 Grandparent power of attorney form
O.C.G.A 20-02-0071 Placement of twins or higher order multiples in the same classroom
O.C.G.A 20-02-0133 Free public instruction; exceptions; eligibility; transfer and utilization; funding
O.C.G.A 20-02-0150 Eligibility for enrollment
O.C.G.A 20-02-0159 Special education services for students in home study programs
O.C.G.A 20-02-0294 Permanent classrooms; student commuting distance; reassignment; cost of transportation
O.C.G.A 20-02-0319.3 Online clearing-house of interactive distance learning courses
O.C.G.A 20-02-0670 Reqts. for transferring students beyond 6th grade
O.C.G.A 20-02-0690 Requirements for private schools and home study programs
O.C.G.A 20-02-0690.1 Mandatory education for children between 6 and 16
O.C.G.A 20-02-0697 Cooperation of principals and teachers with attendance officers and visiting teachers
O.C.G.A 20-02-0751.2 Students subject to disciplinary orders of other schools
O.C.G.A 20-02-0768 Expulsion/suspension for commission of a felony; alternative education system
O.C.G.A 20-02-0770 Rules for nutritional screening and eye, ear, and dental exams of students
O.C.G.A 20-02-0771 Immunization of students
O.C.G.A 20-02-2113 Special Needs Scholarship - Annual notification of options available to parents of special needs students
O.C.G.A 20-17-0002 Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
Rule 160-4-7-.19 Services for Agency-Placed Students
Rule 160-5-1-.15 Awarding Units of Credit and Acceptance of Transfer Credit and/or Grades
Rule 160-5-1-.24 Procedure for Requesting Student Social Security Numbers
Rule 160-5-1-.28 Student Enrollment and Withdrawal
Rule 160-5-2-.06 Residential Facility Grant
Rule 160-5-4-.09 Limited Public School Choice
Federal Reference Description
22 CFR 62.25 Exchange Visitor Program-secondary school students
22 USC 2452 Authorization of activities for mutual educational exchange program
42 USC Part B Education for Homeless Children and Youths
Session Timeout Notification

Are you still there? Your session is about to expire

Please press "Continue" to stay active on this page.