About the State Board of Education
The State Board is comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate. While much of the Board’s monthly meeting time is spent performing its statutory responsibilities such as reviewing and approving regulations and applications for charter schools, the Board has defined its purpose and leadership through the adoption of a well thought out and clearly articulated vision and mission as well as long range goals which impact all aspects of public education in our State.
The Board’s regular monthly meetings are open to the public and are usually scheduled for the third Thursday of the month, beginning at 1:00 p.m. The meetings are normally held in the Cabinet Room on the second floor of the Townsend Building, Dover, Delaware.
You can reach the State Board of Education office by calling (302) 735-4010 or by email to its Executive Director, Donna Johnson at <email@example.com>
State Board of Education Procedures Manual
Wilmington Education Improvement Commission - Proposal
The Wilmington Education Improvement Commission invites formal public comment on the interim redistricting plan beginning on November 17, 2015 and continuing through January 14, 2016. The interim report can be found here:
This public comment will be a part of the public record which will be submitted to the State Board of Education to be reviewed as they vote on the redistricting plan. All public comment received by the Commission before December 9, 2015 will be reviewed by the Commission for consideration in the final plan to be submitted to the State Board of Education on December 15, 2015.
Public Comment in written or electronic form on the proposed plan received between 11/17/15 and 1/14/16 will be compiled and included in the official record for review and consideration by the SBE.
Correspondence that will be included in the public record are the following:
- Correspondence with the Commission from the public, including written and electronic comments from the public during the notice period (November 17 to January 14). These should be posted publicly on the Commission's website and submitted as electronic .pdf files to the State Board of Education for posting on the Board website. Written and electronic comments will only be accepted through the following mechanisms:
The public hearings where oral comment will be received will be held as described below. Each will be an hour and a half and a verbatim transcript will be prepared of each hearing and included in the official record for review by the SBE. Exhibits, documents, and testimony presented at the public hearing will be posted and submitted to the Board in conjunction with the Hearing transcript.
- Brandywine School District: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
P.S. duPont Middle School, 701 W. 34th Street, Wilmington, DE 19802.
- Colonial School District: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
William Penn High School, 713 E. Basin Rd, New Castle, DE 19720.
- Christina School District: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
Bayard Middle School, 200 S. duPont Street, Wilmington, DE 19805.
- Red Clay Consolidated School District: Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. at Brandywine Springs School 2916 Duncan Rd, Wilmington, DE 19808
- Red Clay Consolidated School District: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. at Warner Elementary School, 801 W. 18th Street, Wilmington, DE 19802.